The 6 Biggest Domestic Electrical Mistakes to Avoid
16640
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-16640,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-7.8,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive
 

The 6 Biggest Domestic Electrical Mistakes you Must Avoid

domestic electrical mistakes

29 Apr The 6 Biggest Domestic Electrical Mistakes you Must Avoid

Many homeowners are DIY enthusiasts and will happily fix a broken chair or repaint the living room wall if they feel it’s looking dull and drab. If you are one of those people, you may also be tempted to fix electrical issues when something goes wrong. However, it’s important to keep in view the fact that electrical jobs aren’t for the DIYer. In fact, any electrical job, big or small should be tackled only by a licensed and insured electrician.

When you are working with electricity, safety is something you should never compromise on. It’s a fact that you would be able to handle some simple electrical jobs on your own and they may seem like a breeze, but the truth is that most people aren’t aware of the precautions they should be taking while tackling anything related to electricity.

The Mistakes to Avoid

When it comes to electrical jobs, there is no alternative to hiring an experienced and skilled professional for the job. Take a look at the 6 biggest domestic electrical mistakes novices make:

#1 Using incorrectly-sized cabling and wiring

This is a very common mistake that many inexperienced people make. Every installation needs a different gauge (thickness) of wire. Using the incorrect one in a particular application can result in an overload or overheating in the wire; in turn, this can cause the circuit breaker or fuse to trip. It’s crucial that the wires be rated for the actual amperage they are going to carry.

#2 Incorrect electrical box connections

It’s crucial that you never try to make any electrical connections outside electrical boxes. The sole purpose of these boxes is to ensure that the wires should be protected from external elements. If you do have to make an extension, use a plastic/metal box. Do not shove too many wires into one electrical box- this can lead to a short circuit.

#3 Fixing switches and outlets wrongly

There are times when you may not fix the switches and outlets firmly in the wall. These can be dangerous. When you attempt to fit appliances into an outlet that’s loosely fitted, the wires can come out of their terminals and can get overheated.

#4 Loose fuse connections

All the connections inside a fuse box should be correctly and tightly placed. Loose connections can cause flickering in lights and appliances. At times, it can lead to overheating of circuits too. It’s never a good idea to try to fix these yourself

#5 Replacing fuses

Circuit breakers and fuses are the safety mechanisms that protect the wire ampacity ratings; they also control the flow of electricity to all the connected appliances. Many people are under the false impression that if a fuse blows or a circuit trips, they can simply replace it; and that the problem will be solved. In actuality, when either of these things happen repeatedly, it’s an indication that there is something wrong in the wiring connected to them. Call in a licensed electrician without delay and get the problem fixed.

#6 Overloading the drop cords & outlet

This is another common electrical mistake. While many people simply buy adaptors and use them to plug in multiple appliances in at a single point, this only increases the amperage that the circuit can handle. This danger is compounded if you use more than one heavy-duty appliance at a single outlet.

Never take chances when you are dealing with electrical installations or are faced with electrical issues. Always call in a certified electrician to handle the job. For any type domestic electrical installations, call Allround Electrical at 1300 169 263. You can also drop us a line via email.

Thanks for reading,
Allround Electrical
1300 169 263

No Comments

Post A Comment

In a new or old home you need to ensure your family's safety around electricity.