12 Aug Aspects to Consider While Choosing a Residential Electrician
When you are getting any electrical work done in your home, you want to make sure that the job gets done in the best possible way and that the best materials and workmanship are used in the work too. This is exactly why you conduct a certain amount of research online and try to zero-in on a credible and well-established company. However, this can sometimes be easier said than done and you may scour several sites and still not be sure which company you should contact for the work you need done.
The aspects to keep in mind
We understand exactly how difficult this decision can be and so we have put together this list of things you should consider while choosing a residential electrician:
- Make complete note of the kind of work you need done
- Understand whether you really need to hire the services of an electrician
- Check whether the professional is registered as an electrical contractor and whether they have a license
- The trustworthiness of the company
- The pricing structure the company maintains
When would you need to hire an electrician?
This isn’t very difficult to decipher. In Australia, when it comes to electrical jobs, the only things you are legally permitted to do are to change your light bulbs & operate the electrical appliances in your home, for what they were designed for. If you need any other electrical work done, beyond that; you would have to hire the services of a licensed and certified electrical contractor. This includes even the small things such as:
- Installation of powerpoints
- Installation of transformers and down lights
- Replacing the plugs on any electrical appliances you have purchased from abroad
- Fixing broken electrical fittings
Even when you feel that certain jobs are very basic and that you will be able to tackle them yourself, keep in mind that electrical jobs are very risky and dangerous; and a single wrong step can cause an electrical fire and pose a risk to life and property. This is exactly why it’s important to hire the services of a credible electrical company.
They will work safely, use the latest and most advanced testing and work tools and ensure the work is done safely and in line with the applicable legislation in the state. In addition, the work has to be done as per the Australian Standard Wiring Rules. The electrician is also required to provide a certificate of compliance for the work they have handled for you.
Qualifications that electricians need
In the current day, every state and territory requires that electricians should hold a valid electrical license to carry out any work. Most of the states also require that the electricians be R.E.C’s (Registered Electrical Contractors), before they are permitted to handle any electrical work or run an electrical contracting business.
Quick checklist while hiring an electrician
- Look for a local electrician
- The company should be able to provide 24/7 services
- Get quotes from different companies before you decide who you are going to get the work done from
- Ask friends and relatives for recommendations
- Check whether the company has a license and is certified and registered. They should be licensed with the electrical licensing and regulators New South Wales www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
- Check what warranties they provide for the work
- Ask whether they will provide a certificate of electrical safety for the work they handle for you
For more information, simply speak with the experts at Allround Electrical and take their advice on various aspects of CBUS installations. The number to call is – 1300 169 263. You can also write to us at this email address. You may also reach us through this online contact form.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263