How DIY Electrical Repairs Can Be Very Dangerous
16847
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-16847,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-7.8,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive
 

How DIY Electrical Projects Can Be Very Dangerous

Home Security Services

19 Aug How DIY Electrical Projects Can Be Very Dangerous

There are a number of times when homeowners take up DIY projects; not only do these help you save money, but many people find the idea of doing some of this work around their home, extremely fulfilling too. While it’s okay to do some carpentry or painting work, it’s best to leave electrical jobs to the experts; and there are a number of reasons for this.

Many people feel that they may be able to handle some basic electrical jobs themselves; but the fact is that electrical systems and installations can be quite complex and it’s not easy to tackle them. Apart from this, it’s required by law that you hire a licensed and insured electrician for any work on your residential or commercial premises. Take a look at how and why DIY electrical jobs can do a lot of harm:

How DIY Electrical Jobs can be harmful

#1 Use of wires & cables that are not of the correct size

There are a number of wire sizes available; this is called the gauge of the wire and this determines the application it’s going to be used in. If you accidently choose and install the wrong wire, this can cause it to heat up and the circuit breaker may trip. This is why it’s important to use wires and devices that are rated correctly for the amperage that’s required in a particular location.

#2 Incorrect fitting of the switches and outlets

If the switches and outlets have been installed loosely, that can present a hazard once the appliances have been plugged in. If the wires come loose from the terminals, that can result in overheating and arcing.

#3 Electrical box connections’ faults

The reason for an electrical box installation is to provide the connections the right amount of protection from the external elements. This is also why it’s extremely important to ensure that no electrical connections are made outside these boxes. The other thing to keep in mind is that the electrical boxes should only be filled to a certain capacity. Adding too many wires and connections in a single box can result in overheating; in some cases, it can also result in short circuiting.

#4 Incorrect fuse replacement

This happens to be one of the most common causes of electrical fires. When fuses keep tripping or blow, property owners may end up replacing them with breakers or fuses of a larger size. If a fuse trips very regularly, it’s first crucial to identify what is causing it to trip; that root problem has to be addressed by a licensed and insured electrician.

#5 Loose fuse connections

The connections inside the fuse box should all be tight and when they are replaced, the positioning should be right. In case the connections come loose, you might find the lights flickering or being cut short. In severe situations, there could be overheating of the connections too. The precaution to take here is that before you start with any inspection, you should first switch off the breakers.

#6 Overloading of outlets

This is one mistake that many people tend to make; they end up overloading the powerboard or the outlet. It’s important that you check how many amps a circuit can bear and then plug in only the type of appliances that aren’t going to overload the board. Appliances such as air conditioners, dishwashers and refrigerators etc. can overload the circuit, if it exceeds the amperage of the board .

For more information, simply speak with the experts at Allround Electrical and take their advice on various aspects of CBUS installations. The number to call is 1300 169 263. You can also write to us at this email address. You may also reach us through this online contact form.

Thanks for reading,
Allround Electrical
1300 169 263

No Comments

Post A Comment

In a new or old home you need to ensure your family's safety around electricity.