09 Sep Essentials of Wiring Upgrades that Every Homeowner Should Be Aware Of
Many homeowners carry out electrical upgrades in their home and they get the fixtures and fittings replaced. At times, switchboards etc. may be replaced or circuit breakers too. However there is one component of electrical installations that is typically out of sight, out of mind – wiring!
We at Allround Electrical always recommend to our clients that if their home and the wiring in it, is over two decades old, they should consider getting wiring upgrades done on their property. In fact, when you choose to upgrade the wiring in your home, it gives you the assurance that the system will be able to bear the load of all the electrical appliances that you add to the different circuits on your property.
Planning Wiring Upgrades
It’s a good idea to plan wiring upgrades at the same time that you plan remodeling projects; this is when you might open up walls and ceilings anyways; and this reduces the hassle, expense and time spent on getting this work done. This is because most of the electrical wiring is fitted within your walls; and it often involves opening up various wall sections, that will later have to be patched & repainted.
This is why it’s important that you plan for current and future requirements; this will ensure that you don’t have to worry about the wiring upgrades for at least a few more years. So, what is it that makes wiring such an important aspect of the electrical installation on your premises? Wiring supports a range of critical functions including:
- Power Usage – Electricity
- TV – Cable or Satellite
- Data – Networking / Internet
- Home Automation
When you are getting any of these jobs done, it’s crucial that you hire the services of an expert and experienced electrical company for the job. They will ensure that high grade, appropriate materials are used in the work and that the workmanship is of the highest grade too. While you are getting this job done, there are certain things you should be doing, such as:
- Check whether you really need conventional telephone wiring as some types of wiring are now losing their usefulness as this is increasingly being replaced by mobile phones and wireless phones.
- The one way to ensure you are getting exactly the kind of wiring installations you need, is to evaluate your existing wiring installation and your wiring requirements. Many older homes also have ungrounded electrical wiring.Considering that most homes have very heavy electrical demands (on account of the type of installations that exist there), ungrounded wiring becomes a very dangerous situation. Grounding helps protect you and everyone on your property from electrocution as the excess current gets channeled into the ground rather than in the body. This grounding will have to be installed on all possible electrical outlets.
- When the wiring upgrades are being done, you should also make it a point to get GFCI circuit breakers installed in kitchens, home offices, bathrooms and the outdoor areas of your home as well. In case any irregular power supply is detected, this type of grounding first shuts-off the power to that particular outlet.
Hire licensed contractors
These are just some of the basic aspects that have to be attended to when electrical upgrades are being done in your home. When you hire the services of a vetted and credible electrical contractor, you have peace of mind that the job will be handled in the best possible way.
For more information, simply speak with the experts at Allround Electrical and take our advice on various aspects of electrical and wiring installations. The number to call is – 1300 169 263. You can also write to us at this email address.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263