03 Nov Benefits Of Using Programmable Thermostats in Your Home
Programmable thermostats are quite a popular installation on both commercial and residential properties and they provide significant energy-saving benefits, convenience and improved comfort.
- A thermostat saves you energy and money on your utility bills as you can set home temperatures based on various different factors.
- A programmable thermostat supplies personal comfort via pre-set temperature levels and is far more accurate and convenient than a manual thermostat.
- If you’re looking to reduce expenses, you will generally see a good ROI on your programmable thermostat within a matter of a year. When used appropriately, this device can save about $150-$170 annually.
- A programmable thermostat is also an eco-friendly option because it contains no mercury which means it doesn’t harm the environment. Since it uses less energy it helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions too.
- It can be set to accurately adjust the temperature of your home as per the set schedule.
- The temperature on a programmable thermostat can also be set to change based on whether you and your family members are awake or asleep or whether your home is occupied. For instance, before you wake up in the morning, the thermostat can be pre-set to a slightly warmer temperature. The pre-programmed settings on the device are intended to deliver savings without compromising on comfort. Based on your family’s schedule, you can see considerable cost-savings by sticking with those specific settings or adjust them as need for your family.
- This device automatically stores settings and repeats those settings every day.
- You have the option for manual settings to override the programs when desired. It offers accurate temperature management and offers numerous programming choices.
- You have the option for daily programming which means you can use one schedule each day. In addition you can program the thermostat using different settings for weekends. Most models have a full 7-day programming functionality, allowing for different temperature schedules for each day of the week.
Some aspects to keep in view
#1 Choose a thermostat that suits your lifestyle
These systems have user-friendly digital displays, which makes it easy for you to pre-set varying temperatures for different times of a day. Most models allow you to differentiate between weekend and weekday programs. Some of these devices are also Wi-Fi enabled, and you can change the settings via your PC, tablet or smartphone. Some models have extras such as alerts that indicate when it’s time to change the air filter. As mentioned earlier, almost all of the thermostat models on the market today allow you to manually override the settings whenever you choose to without losing the pre-set programming.
#2 How to increase energy savings
For increased savings, try for a “setback” period of a minimum of eight hours. For every degree that you adjust the device’s setting over an 8-hour period, you can easily expect to shave 1% off your cooling or heating bill. During the winter months, program your thermostat to reduce the temperature in your home by 10° while you are away at work; that can help reduce your heating costs by 10-20%. In the summer months, you can use these same setback strategies to reduce your air conditioning expenses.
Having this technological wonder working for you allows you to enjoy the full benefits of your HVAC system, while significantly reducing your energy bills. You can also check out these simple tips to improve your home’s energy-efficiency. For any questions about any of our electrical services, you can consult with our experts and they will provide you the best advice and quotes for all your electrical installation needs. You can call us at 1300 169 263 or write to us at this email address and we will call back shortly.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263