29 Dec Do I Really Need Security Lighting For My Property?
Outdoor lighting can enhance the aesthetics and add dimension to a property; in addition, it’s also an integral aspect of an effective and efficient home security system. We at AllRound Electricals know that having the right type of security lighting installations minimises hiding spots, improves facial recognition and physical detection as well as enhances your sense of safety.
But this can happen only when the right types of security lighting fixtures are installed and the planning and placement is done in the right manner. The security lighting fixtures will also have to be integrated seamlessly with the landscape lighting installations.
Outdoor grade lighting
Today there are a large number of security lighting options available on the market and when you are deciding which one will be best suited for your home, there are a number of different aspects you would have to take into account.
It is crucial you look for solutions that are approved for use in outdoor locations and damp and wet conditions. The best outdoor lighting fixtures will have a waterproof design that is able to withstand the elements. Some of the different varieties of security lights you can choose from include:
- Floodlights – These are an ideal type of security lighting that spread light over a larger area and are best-suited for illuminating larger spaces. These fixtures come with 1/2/3 adjustable heads that provide you the type of lighting you need.
- Pathway and walkway lighting – These are suitable for safely illuminating the most frequently walkways and pathways in the outdoor areas of your property. The additional benefit is that they also illuminate large trees and the architectural features and elements of your home.
- Roadway luminaries – Roadway light fixtures are ideal for broader identification and illumination of your home.
- Lamp post lights – These can be installed all along the driveway and pathways leading up to your main door. In fact, they are also a great addition to yard features such as decks and patios.
- Surface-mounted lights – These fixtures can be used for lighting, decorative lighting and accent lighting for your home’s exterior spaces.
Security light placement
When designing security lighting systems, it’s vital to identify the potential security and safety risks by surveying your property’s perimeter and taking into consideration the impact of any additional lighting that exists in the surrounding areas. Aside from this, you need to take into account local lighting codes related to light pollutions and glare etc. In order to accurately determine your property’s lighting needs, you should:
Carefully assess your home and its surroundings
As your neighbourhood grows & develops over time, you should carefully evaluate your home to identify whether any additional security and safety measures are needed. You should also consider these factors while carrying out this assessment:
- Illumination for high value features – Identify the high-value items on your property, such as vehicles, statues and garden ornaments.
- Survey the land – Carefully examine the landscaping and the perimeter of your house at different times of the day; this will help you identify potential security and safety hazards. Look for deep shadows or dark areas around the yard, garage and home, and garage that could become potential hiding spots.
Other aspects to consider
Once you have canvassed your home thoroughly and identified the areas that present problems, you need to decide whether you want passive or active lighting installed:
- Active lighting elements – This refers to motion-activated lighting fixtures because they are activated by movement.
- Passive lighting elements – Lighting fixtures that are set on timers are called passive security elements as they are activated at specific times every day.
For any questions about any of our security lighting services feel free to call us at 1300 169 263 or write to us at this email address and we will call back shortly.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263