27 December STEPS TO GET YOUR GARAGE INDOOR AND OUTDOOR LIGHTING RIGHT
Homeowners use their parking garage for several different reasons- as a workshop, to park their car, or as a storage space. Although a garage requires sufficient lighting, many homeowners tend to ignore it. This can result in these spaces being difficult to navigate. It can also cause eye strain during DIY projects, and make you vulnerable to injuries and falls.
Garage Interior Lighting
Here are a few excellent and highly-effective ways to illuminate your garage. The right kind of illumination boosts its safety, efficiency, aesthetics as well as the visibility of the space.
1. Consider More Than Overhead Lighting
Artificial lighting falls into one of these three categories – accent, ambient, and task. However, your garage should implement all three forms.
- Ambient lighting is generally a soft overhead light that is perfect for illuminating the walls and floors which helps you move around and park your car safely.
- Task lighting, on the other hand, is used for lighting that’s intended for work or even storage spaces. Task lights help to increase visibility by a considerable margin during a project that requires proper detailing.
- Accent lighting falls right between ambient and task lighting in terms of brightness. It is the perfect kind of illumination for decor pieces that you want to emphasize.
- As garages are used for several different reasons, it’s a great idea to layer illumination. Layering ensures you have the perfect lighting for parking, storage, handiwork, and display. While you’re positioning these lighting fixtures, keep these pointers in mind.
2. Opt For Fixtures Based On Their Function
To ensure that you cover all bases, it’s best to opt for fixtures in every category of lighting.
- Ambient fixtures often include garage door openers that incorporate built-in lights and linear flush-mount lights connected to the ceiling.
- Task lighting fixtures include caged lights that have a wire and a hook attached. The design allows the user to move it and hang as required. Besides, they also include shop lights, which are essential eight-foot-long strips that hang from the ceiling using chains.
- Accent light fixtures incorporate pendants that extend from the ceiling, as well as sconces mounted on walls. You can install these on either side of the garage door.
Garage Door Lighting
It’s crucial to ensure that the lighting on your garage door is both safe and convenient. Several houses have garage doors that are close to the front door. In such cases, it’s important to remember that the lighting you opt for will also add ambient light to the entire area frontage of your home. While choosing to light your garage space, use the 1/3 to 1/4 rule. Consider measuring the height of your garage door to get its accurate size.
Different Garage Entrance Lighting Positions
Based on the size and placement of your garage, it might be slightly more challenging to illuminate this feature than your front door. Here are a few pointers that may help:
- A single side lantern – In case you have a one-car garage, this set-up is perfect for you. Install the light on the side that’s closest to the walkway.
- Two single lanterns on either side – This set-up is ideal if you have a sizeable one-car garage or a two-car garage.
- Three lights across the entire garage – Place one on your left, one in the centre, and one on the right side of your garage. Consider placing them at even distances across the top of your garage door.
- Place the lighting above the door – This option can be implemented on either side of the garage. However, ensure that the lights don’t obstruct the movement of the door.
Also, you can also consider installing motion-sensing lights around your garage. These fixtures will add to your safety and convenience as they turn on each time you approach your garage. When you are getting any garage door lights installed, source outdoor grade fixtures. These will be able to withstand exposure to the elements and last for longer than standard fittings.
For any more information about our electrical services, feel free to contact All Round Electricals at 1300 169 263 or write to us at this email address, and we will call back shortly.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263