Electrical wiring and related systems are some of the installations most of us take for granted in our homes. If your lights or home appliances function at the slick of a switch, you rarely pay too much attention to the powerpoints and switches. However, what happens if some of these things don’t work, as they should?
If you have faulty wiring, it can be a significant nuisance as well as hazardous. Electrical wiring faults cause approximately 20% of all household fires in Australia. This is why you must be aware of the warning signs of defective or deteriorated wiring. Catching these problems early and getting them fixed on time is one good way to mitigate these risks.
When it comes to faulty electrical wiring, there are certain things to look out for and these include:
If you find your lights dimming or flickering when you switch them on, it might indicate that your wiring has a fault. While some other reasons can cause this to happen, old wiring is one of the leading causes of this problem.
If powerpoints or light switches in your home make a buzzing sound when you switch them on, you must turn off the electrical mains and contact an electrician without delay.
If you experience an electric shock or notice sparking when you try to touch the power sockets, it indicates a significant problem. There could be a fault in the fixtures themselves, but faulty wiring could be the root cause of the issue as well. Your local electrician would be able to check the systems, tell you where the problem lies, and fix it quickly and efficiently.
If you notice that the electrical outlets in your home are hot to the touch or vibrating a little, there are some electrical wiring problems.
Although it can be pretty annoying to deal with a circuit breaker that trips on and off, it’s just the device doing what it’s meant to do. However, if this happens regularly, you must address the issue. In some instances, the circuit breaker might be at fault, while the wiring might be the culprit in others.
If you see charred markings around the power outlets, it can indicate that there is heat emanating from the wiring behind them. This is never a good thing, and you must call in an electrician to get this checked. If left unchecked, you would be putting your home at risk of an electrical fire.
If you smell burnt odours emanating from the wiring or plastic powerpoints and other fixtures, it could indicate you have faulty wiring. The burning smell could also sometimes suggest that the fire has already started somewhere.
If you have noticed any of these signs, do not delay in calling in an electrician. The professional will conduct a detailed check on the installations and will determine where the problem lies. You must act immediately because electrical wiring is always out of sight, and without proper equipment, you would not be able to identify where the problem exists. Only licensed and well-trained electricians have the necessary devices and tools to find out which installations have been affected.
We at AllRound Electricals are a leading company in this industry, offering high-quality services to our clients. We are committed to providing our clients excellent value for money and provide prompt services. We understand how dangerous it can be to leave electrical issues unattended. The one way to avoid these problems is to opt for regular electrical maintenance solutions.
As part of these services, our team will visit your property regularly and conduct thorough checks on all the installations in your home, including the wiring. This effort enables them to fix lingering problems before they get out of hand. For any more information, please contact All Round Electricals at 1300 169 263 or write to us at this email address, and we will call back shortly to discuss your requirements.
Thanks for reading,
1300 169 263